Learn how to generate playback URLs that combine multiple videos into a single playlist (i.e., m3u8). This allows a media player to play them back as if they were a single asset.
Both asset ID and external ID playback URLs may point to multiple assets by adding a comma-delimited list of each desired asset and then appending "/multiple" to the file name.
Asset ID-based playback URL: http://content.uplynk.com/<First assetID>,<Second assetID>,<Nth assetID>/multiple.m3u8 External ID-based playback URL: http://content.uplynk.com/ext/<userID>/<First externalID>,<Second externalID>,<Nth externalID>/multiple.m3u8
Asset ID-based playback URL example
The following sample playback URL demonstrates the proper syntax for the playback of two assets whose IDs are "7731125f336c4e229c20f7307f8c3122" and "6eb8d50020884a1c8bd4c11a38406f14."
The above two assets will be played back-to-back in the listed order. Ad breaks associated with each asset will behave as expected.
External ID-based playback URL example
The following sample playback URL demonstrates the proper syntax for the playback of three assets whose external IDs are "pre-show," "show," and "post-show." This example assumes that these assets have been associated with a user with an ID of "357c9b19d40447989389e6a20f19d55e."
A playback URL that points to multiple assets supports the playback parameter defined below.
|ad.caid||Optional||Defines the asset ID that will be sent to an ad server.
By default, the ID of the first asset listed in the playback URL is sent to the ad server. Use this parameter to send a different asset ID to the ad server.
Key information on playing back multiple assets is provided below.
- The total duration of the assets requested using a single playback URL must be less than 16 hours.
- All assets defined within a single playback URL must be owned by the same account.
- Assets that are in the process of being sliced or encoded cannot be combined and therefore should not be included in a playback URL that points to multiple assets.
Preplay API URLs
A request to the Preplay API may also reference multiple assets by comma-delimiting each desired asset and then appending "/multiple" to the file name. Make sure to include query string parameters as needed.
Asset ID-based Preplay API request: http://content.uplynk.com/preplay/<First assetID>,<Second assetID>,<Nth assetID>/multiple.json External ID-based Preplay API request: http://content.uplynk.com/preplay/ext/<userID>/<First externalID>,<Second externalID>,<Nth externalID>/multiple.json
Digital Rights Management (DRM)
DRM-protected assets require a token for playback. This token must encompass all assets defined in the playback URL.
Token generation instructions for each type of playback URL are provided below.
- Asset ID-based playback URLs: Generate a token whose cid parameter is set to the comma-delimited list of asset IDs defined in the playback URL.
- External ID-based playback URLs: Follow these instructions when generating a token:
- Set the eid parameter to the comma-delimited list of external IDs defined in the playback URL.
- Set the oid parameter to your user ID.
- Omit the cid parameter.